Cut glass Osler Dish Light with three overhanging ‘acorn’ Shades
test

Cut glass Osler Dish Light with three overhanging ‘acorn’ Shades

5120

Cut glass Osler Dish Light with three overhanging ‘acorn’ Shades:
the tall cut-glass urn forming the stem, with dish and canopies all with petal-cut edges; the three acorn shades held in silver-plated mounts with typical Osler faceted ball and spire surmounts. Originally for gas circa 1860, converted to electricity circa 1910, and restored.

Height: 33" - 84.0cm
Width: 25" - 64.0cm

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

gasolier

Light-fitting made for gas. Gas was used in street lighting and most large town houses by the mid-19th century. Expensive fittings were made to appeal to weathier consumers and some chandelier makers like Osler produced cut-glass Gasoliers. Chandeliers also continued to be used with candles and oil, as when gas was very impure it could smell unpleasant and be dangerous. Some chandeliers were adapted into gasoliers.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.