English cut-glass Chandelier with ten branches on two tiers
test

English cut-glass Chandelier with ten branches on two tiers

3483

English cut-glass Chandelier with ten branches on two tiers:
possibly by Osler, the glass arms and candle pans with notch cutting; dressed with graduated festoons and hangers of Victorian prisms and pear-shaped pendants. Circa 1850, made originally for gas, restored and prepared with electric candles.

Height: 42" - 104.0cm
Width: 36" - 92.0cm

'Victorian' prism

English cut-glass prism, named after Queen Victoria, made from 1840 until the present day; with octagonal shape and pointed back.

English 'pear' pendant

Pear-shaped cut-glass pendant with a facetted front and pointed star back.

gasolier

Light-fitting made for gas. Gas was used in street lighting and most large town houses by the mid-19th century. Expensive fittings were made to appeal to weathier consumers and some chandelier makers like Osler produced cut-glass Gasoliers. Chandeliers also continued to be used with candles and oil, as when gas was very impure it could smell unpleasant and be dangerous. Some chandeliers were adapted into gasoliers.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.