English five-branch gilded and cut glass Perry Chandelier
test

English five-branch gilded and cut glass Perry Chandelier

4044

English five-branch gilded and cut glass Perry Chandelier:
the slice-cut baluster stem with gilded leaf decoration and scrolling ornament; dressed with graduated festoons of ‘double star’ prisms and gilt-mounted pear-shaped pendants.
Circa 1880, originally for gas, now restored and wired for electricity.

Height: 39½" - 100.0cm
Width: 30" - 79.0cm

'double star' prisms

Round cut-glass prisms with star-cuttings on both sides. One of the finest of prisms, generally used on Regency and later chandeliers by Perry & Co.

Perry & Co

William Perry opened a shop at 72 New Bond Street in 1817 as Glass Manufacturer to the Prince Regent. The firm continued under different ownerships until the Depression of 1930. Perry produced a range of magnificent chandeliers, generally suitable for palaces. During the second half of the nineteenth century, at least, their name was linked with a particular kind of chandelier. It featured long, slender stem-pieces centring on an urn-shaped section, with generous double-ogee canopies above and a similar shaped dish inverted as a receiver bowl for the branches. Arms were normally rope-twist, often with moulded drip pans. There were seldom glass candle cups, merely a short tube with a saveall. The chandelier would be profusely dressed with graduated festoons of 'double-star' prisms and English 'pear' pendants, often alternating with clear spheres, and below, a faceted, pointed finial. They closed in 1921.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.