Fine-cut glass six light Chandelier in the manner of Osler
test

Fine-cut glass six light Chandelier in the manner of Osler

3887

Fine-cut glass six light Chandelier in the manner of Osler:
the diamond-cutting following through storm shades, candle
branches, baluster stem and large pointed finial; the unusual scallop-cut edges of the pans and body bowl dressed with long icicle prisms.
Circa 1920 and restored.

Height: 36" - 91.0cm
Width: 36" - 91.0cm
Glossary Words

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.