Two very similar fine swirl-cut glass Dishlights by Osler
test

Two very similar fine swirl-cut glass Dishlights by Osler

5805

Two very similar fine swirl-cut glass Dishlights by Osler:
the scallop-edged diamond and cross-cut bowl with six gilded-bronze scrolling fronds; dressed with graduated festoons of cut glass prisms, pear-shaped pendants and long ‘Pedalogues’ peculiar to Osler; with trefoil loop and large ‘acorn’ finial. Circa 1910, restored and rewired.
Second dimensions:
Height: 18½” – 47cm Width: 27½” – 70cm

Height: 20" - 51.0cm
Width: 29" - 74.0cm

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

festoon

A hanging garland of prisms or flowers.

English 'pear' pendant

Pear-shaped cut-glass pendant with a facetted front and pointed star back.

'pedalogue'

A cut glass pendant designed by Osler, from 1880 onwards.

trefoil

A three-leaved form.

finial

Ornament forming a finishing flourish.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.