Pair of cut glass single branch Wall Lights with tulip shade
test

Pair of cut glass single branch Wall Lights with tulip shade

2918

Pair of cut glass single branch Wall Lights with tulip shade:
the circular backplate bearing curving cut glass ‘trumpet’ branch,
and star-cut shade, both with scalloped edge.
Circa 1860-80, originally for gas; now converted to electricity with
Osler shade. The backplate marked Osler of Birmingham.

Height: 10" - 25.5cm
Width: 5¼" - 13cm
Projection: 13¼" - 33.5cm
Glossary Words

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.