Pair of eight branch cut-glass ‘Waterfall’ Chandeliers by Osler
test

Pair of eight branch cut-glass ‘Waterfall’ Chandeliers by Osler

5819

Pair of eight branch cut-glass ‘Waterfall’ Chandelier by Osler:
with unusual carved scrolling branches and flower cups and
pans; dressed with graduated ‘rule-cut’ or ‘waterfall’ pendants,
cut-glass rosette ornaments to main ring; faceted ball finial.
Circa 1860-80, restored and the metalwork silver-plated.

Height: 48" - 122.0cm
Width: 34" - 86.5cm

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

'waterfall' pendants

Long rule-cut pendant giving the impression of a waterfall; mainly used for lustre candlesticks.

finial

Ornament forming a finishing flourish.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.