Pair of gilded-bronze twin light Osler Wall Lights marked ‘Osler’
test

Pair of gilded-bronze twin light Osler Wall Lights marked ‘Osler’

5632

Pair of gilded-bronze twin light Osler Wall Lights marked ‘Osler’:
the leaf cut glass shades suspended from scrolling gilt-bronze
branches; linked to a central branch with graduated festoons of
cut glass prisms, bell- and pear-shaped pendants, and a ‘pedalogue’
peculiar to Osler. Circa 1910. Marked Osler on the cut glass-covered backplate. Original gilding.

Height: 20" - 51.0cm
Width: 13" - 33.0cm
Projection: 9" - 23.0cm

gilded, gilt

A very thin layer of gold applied to brass or bronze.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

festoon

A hanging garland of prisms or flowers.

English 'pear' pendant

Pear-shaped cut-glass pendant with a facetted front and pointed star back.

'pedalogue'

A cut glass pendant designed by Osler, from 1880 onwards.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.