Six candle branch late 18th Century style cut glass Chandelier
test

Six candle branch late 18th Century style cut glass Chandelier

6559

Six candle branch late 18th Century style cut glass Chandelier:
the serpentine branches bearing petal-edged cups, pans and canopies;
with pineapple-shaped centre urn and pine-cone finial; dressed with
graduated festoons of ‘chain-pear’ prisms and pear-shaped pendants.
Circa 1880-1900, probably by Perry & Company, restored.

Height: 28" - 71.0cm
Width: 23" - 59.0cm

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

festoon

A hanging garland of prisms or flowers.

'chain-pear' prism

A particularly elegant 18th century cut-glass prism, found on Irish style chandeliers and wall- lights; copied by Osler and others in the late 19th century.

English 'pear' pendant

Pear-shaped cut-glass pendant with a facetted front and pointed star back.

Perry & Co

William Perry opened a shop at 72 New Bond Street in 1817 as Glass Manufacturer to the Prince Regent. The firm continued under different ownerships until the Depression of 1930. Perry produced a range of magnificent chandeliers, generally suitable for palaces. During the second half of the nineteenth century, at least, their name was linked with a particular kind of chandelier. It featured long, slender stem-pieces centring on an urn-shaped section, with generous double-ogee canopies above and a similar shaped dish inverted as a receiver bowl for the branches. Arms were normally rope-twist, often with moulded drip pans. There were seldom glass candle cups, merely a short tube with a saveall. The chandelier would be profusely dressed with graduated festoons of 'double-star' prisms and English 'pear' pendants, often alternating with clear spheres, and below, a faceted, pointed finial. They closed in 1921.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.