Pair of diamond-cut cut glass eight candle branch Chandeliers by Perry & Co.
test

Pair of diamond-cut cut glass eight candle branch Chandeliers by Perry & Co.

4515

Pair of diamond-cut glass eight candle branch Chandeliers by Perry & Company:
with four tiers of ‘notch-cut’ branches, the lower two tiers bearing candles, the upper two with spires and scrolls above; profusely dressed with graduated festoons of ‘double-star’ buttons and pear shaped pendants.
Circa 1860 and restored.
Provenance: Park Place, Henley-on-Thames, Berkshire; probably purchased after the major fire of 1871; sold in the celebrated sale of 1947 and boxed away until recently.

Height: 47½" - 121.0cm
Width: 39" - 99.0cm

Perry & Co

William Perry opened a shop at 72 New Bond Street in 1817 as Glass Manufacturer to the Prince Regent. The firm continued under different ownerships until the Depression of 1930. Perry produced a range of magnificent chandeliers, generally suitable for palaces. During the second half of the nineteenth century, at least, their name was linked with a particular kind of chandelier. It featured long, slender stem-pieces centring on an urn-shaped section, with generous double-ogee canopies above and a similar shaped dish inverted as a receiver bowl for the branches. Arms were normally rope-twist, often with moulded drip pans. There were seldom glass candle cups, merely a short tube with a saveall. The chandelier would be profusely dressed with graduated festoons of 'double-star' prisms and English 'pear' pendants, often alternating with clear spheres, and below, a faceted, pointed finial. They closed in 1921.

festoon

A hanging garland of prisms or flowers.

'double star' prisms

Round cut-glass prisms with star-cuttings on both sides. One of the finest of prisms, generally used on Regency and later chandeliers by Perry & Co.

English 'pear' pendant

Pear-shaped cut-glass pendant with a facetted front and pointed star back.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.