Twelve-branch cut glass Chandelier by Osler & Co. of Birmingham
test

Twelve-branch cut glass Chandelier by Osler & Co. of Birmingham

3023

Twelve-branch cut glass Chandelier by Osler & Co. of Birmingham:
the baluster stem with six top scrolls bearing spires; the twelve thumb-press cut branches on two tiers; dressed with graduated festoons of cut glass ‘single-stars’ and pear-shaped pendants.
Circa 1860, restored and the metalwork silver-plated.

Height: 63" - 160.0cm
Width: 42" - 106.0cm

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Great Exhibition

The Great Exhibition of the Art and Industry of All Nations was opened by Queen Victoria in May 1851 in Joseph Paxton's vast, iron and glass 'Crystal Palace'. Attracting over six million people over six months, it represented Britain as a powerful trading nation and was the first of many international exhibitions. See Victorian and Osler.

'single star' prisms

Round cut-glass prism, with flat front and star-cut back. Used on early 19th century Regency chandeliers. Later used extensively by Osler for their drapery in the late 19th century.

English 'pear' pendant

Pear-shaped cut-glass pendant with a facetted front and pointed star back.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.