Victorian cut glass five-branch ‘Lighthouse’ Chandelier
test

Victorian cut glass five-branch ‘Lighthouse’ Chandelier

2345

Victorian cut glass five-branch ‘Lighthouse’ Chandelier:
the candle-pans, canopy and decreasing, concentric rings below dressed with ‘triangle’ pendants; probably by Osler of Birmingham.
Originally made for gas, circa 1860-80, restored and wired for electricity; the metalwork re-silver plated.

Height: 42" - 107.0cm
Width: 31" - 79.0cm
Glossary Words

Victorian

The Victorian era corresponds with the reign of Queen Victoria in England from 1839 to 1901.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.