Carved walnut table top Pillar Box with drawer and locking door
Carved walnut table top Pillar Box with drawer and locking door:
of cylindrical form with hexagonal lid; the hinged door with brass frame enclosing a facsimile posting panel, brass flap engraved ‘Letters’. Circa 1870, based on the Post Office pillar boxes introduced in 1859 and made by Cochrane & Co. of Dudley. Known widely as the ‘First National Standard’ pillar box, it was replaced in 1869 by the ‘Penfold’, based on a design by the architect J. W. Penfold.