Large giltwood 18 branch Chandelier in the Thomas Hope tradition

Large giltwood 18 branch Chandelier in the Thomas Hope tradition

Large giltwood 18 branch Chandelier in the Thomas Hope tradition

4860

Large giltwood 18 branch Chandelier in the Thomas Hope tradition:
with Thomas Hope classical female Bacchante masks and rosettes, palmate ornaments and bold acanthus leaf decoration; with six gilt ropes suspended from top acanthus crown; the gilt bronze branches also with elements of Thomas Hope decoration; terminating in a leaf and bud finial.
Circa 1820 and restored. The 1938 photographs showing oil reservoirs which have since been changed back to candle branches.

It is a wonderful and almost unique example of workmanship after Thomas Hope designs. Following the exhibition at the V & A, Thomas Hope furniture has become much sought after. Similar rosette and anthemion design elements are found on the Thomas Hope chandelier in the Robert Lehman Wing of the MET Museum, New York, and a collection of Thomas Hope designs of furniture and lighting are also part of the collection at Brighton Pavillion.

Height:71"-180.0cm
Width:55"-140.0cm

gilded, gilt

A very thin layer of gold applied to brass or bronze.

gesso

Plaster-covered wood, usually applied with gold leaf.

Hope, Thomas

Thomas Hope (1769-1831), an influential English furniture and interior designer was inspired by his extensive Grand Tour travels in Europe, Greece, Turkey and Egypt and his family tradition of collecting on a grand scale. He was determined to reform contemporary taste by returning to the classical purity of antiquity in architecture, interiors and furniture. His innovative designs helped define what we understand as the Regency style. His book, Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, published in 1807, introduced the term 'interior decoration' into the English language. Hope's style even influenced the Regency Revival of the 1920s and '30s, and Art Deco design.
Further Information

Provenance:

5 Belgrave Square, London, the Grade 1 listed residence of the society host and Conservative MP, Sir Henry 'Chips' Channon and his new wife Lady Honor Guinness, daughter of the Earl of Iveagh. Photographed in situ by Country Life after the refurbishment in 1938, this prestigious renovation was decorated by Lord Gerald Welleslay and Trentworth Ellis primarily in the Regency style. The house, created to entertain royalty, was Channon's theatre and his social arena.

Harold Nicolson wrote, 'The dining-room, baroque and rococco and what-ho and oh-no-no and all that. very fine indeed.'

Lady Diana Cooper recalled, 'He installed the mighty in his gilded chairs and exalted the humble. He made the old and tired, young and strong, shine beneath his thousand lighted candles.

Literature:

Country Life, 26 February 1938, p.226, figs 6 and 7.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.