Osler ‘Lion’ Centrepiece with cut glass dish on gilded stand

Osler ‘Lion’ Centrepiece with cut glass dish on gilded stand

Osler ‘Lion’ Centrepiece with cut glass dish on gilded stand

5563

Osler ‘Lion’ Centrepiece with cut glass dish on gilded stand:
the shaped, petal-edged and diamond cut glass bowl set in a stand with four lion-head monopodiae; the circular base with inset mirror reflecting handsome cut glass finial.
Circa 1900 and restored.

Height:11"-30.0cm
Width:11"-29.0cm

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

gilded, gilt

A very thin layer of gold applied to brass or bronze.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

finial

Ornament forming a finishing flourish.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.