Pair of cone-shaped cut glass Lanterns by Osler in gilded mounts

Pair of cone-shaped cut glass Lanterns by Osler in gilded mounts

Pair of cone-shaped cut glass Lanterns by Osler in gilded mounts

4326

Pair of cone-shaped cut glass Lanterns by Osler in gilded mounts:
the shades finely cut with arch and fan design, on gilded
ring with cut glass knop and ornamental stirrup.
Circa 1900 and restored.

Height:13"-33.5cm
Width:5"-13.0cm

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

gilded, gilt

A very thin layer of gold applied to brass or bronze.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.