Pair of cut glass oval Dishes with gilded stands marked Osler:

Pair of cut glass oval Dishes with gilded stands marked Osler:

Pair of cut glass oval Dishes with gilded stands marked Osler:

6580

Pair of cut glass oval Dishes with gilded stands marked Osler:
the dishes with segments of crossed diamond cutting; the stands with gilt and glass ball feet. Circa 1860, by the famous English firm of F. & C. Osler, who made a crystal fountain for the Great Exhibition of 1851 and crystal furniture for Maharajahs in India. (One dish a later copy).

Height:4"-10.0cm
Width:11"-29.5cm
Projection:7¼"-8.5cm

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Great Exhibition

The Great Exhibition of the Art and Industry of All Nations was opened by Queen Victoria in May 1851 in Joseph Paxton's vast, iron and glass 'Crystal Palace'. Attracting over six million people over six months, it represented Britain as a powerful trading nation and was the first of many international exhibitions. See Victorian and Osler.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.