Pair of ‘jewel encased’ English Lustre Candlesticks

Pair of ‘jewel encased’ English Lustre Candlesticks

Pair of ‘jewel encased’ English Lustre Candlesticks

1817

Pair of ‘jewel encased’ English Lustre Candlesticks:
with ornate gilt-bronze stems encasing a centre glass prism; dressed with fine cut long pear pendants and lozenge-shaped prisms.
Circa 1860, probably by Perry & Co. Bond Street, London and restored. Provenance: Stephen Tennant, Wilston Manor, Wiltshire.

Height:11"-29.0cm
Width:5"-14.5cm
Glossary Words

Perry & Co

William Perry opened a shop at 72 New Bond Street in 1817 as Glass Manufacturer to the Prince Regent. The firm continued under different ownerships until the Depression of 1930. Perry produced a range of magnificent chandeliers, generally suitable for palaces. During the second half of the nineteenth century, at least, their name was linked with a particular kind of chandelier. It featured long, slender stem-pieces centring on an urn-shaped section, with generous double-ogee canopies above and a similar shaped dish inverted as a receiver bowl for the branches. Arms were normally rope-twist, often with moulded drip pans. There were seldom glass candle cups, merely a short tube with a saveall. The chandelier would be profusely dressed with graduated festoons of 'double-star' prisms and English 'pear' pendants, often alternating with clear spheres, and below, a faceted, pointed finial. They closed in 1921.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.