Pair of twin-branch cut glass 18th Century style Wall Lights by Osler

Pair of twin-branch cut glass 18th Century style Wall Lights by Osler

Pair of twin-branch cut glass 18th Century style Wall Lights by Osler

1700

Pair of twin-branch cut glass 18th Century style Wall Lights by Osler:
the ‘sun ray’ centre piece above scrolling arms; with scallop-cut candle cups and pans; dressed with graduated ‘pear’ chains and pear shaped pendants and flower-bud finials.
Circa 1920, restored and prepared for electric candles.

Height:18"-46.0cm
Width:16"-41.0cm
Projection:11½"-29.0cm

cut glass

Often now referred to as 'crystal', the glass was blown and shaped, then passed to a specialist cutter, who would polish and cut patterns to enhance its brilliance.

'chain-pear' prism

A particularly elegant 18th century cut-glass prism, found on Irish style chandeliers and wall- lights; copied by Osler and others in the late 19th century.

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.