Pair of cut glass ‘Wishbone’ cut glass Candelabra by Osler

Pair of cut glass ‘Wishbone’ cut glass Candelabra by Osler

Pair of cut glass ‘Wishbone’ cut glass Candelabra by Osler

6830

Pair of cut glass ‘Wishbone’ cut glass Candelabra by Osler:
with petal-cut candle cups and pans on a wishbone-shaped stretcher with scallop-edged base; dressed with rule-cut ‘waterfall’ pendants. Circa 1860, probably by Richardson of Stourbridge for Osler.

Height:13"-32.5cm
Width:11"-28.0cm
Projection:5"-13.0cm

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Richardson of Stourbridge

English company founded c.1830 by Thomas Webb, and the Richardson brothers, renowned in the late 19th century, until about 1906, for its high quality coloured 'cameo' or 'cased' glass, and clear glass etched with naturalistic designs. They made chandelier prisms like Ford later made motor cars. Their prisms were used by many other makers.

'waterfall' pendants

Long rule-cut pendant giving the impression of a waterfall; mainly used for lustre candlesticks.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.