Six light silver-plated and cut glass overhanging Chandelier

Six light silver-plated and cut glass overhanging Chandelier

Six light silver-plated and cut glass overhanging Chandelier

6292

Six branch silver-plated and cut glass overhanging Chandelier:
with cross-cut baluster stem and exposed flexwire in the style of early electroliers; with tulip-shaped cut glass Osler shades.

Height:21.0"-53.5cm
Width:20.0"-51.0cm
Projection (Inches):0.0"

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

electrolier

A term adopted about 1900 to describe chandeliers specifically made for electricity. The very first electricity supply systems were from 1882. Important country houses had their own generators installed, such as Chatsworth House in 1895. Electricity became more commonly used in middle class homes from 1900.
Further Information
Put together in present form by us with Victorian glass parts

This is sample alert content.