Spherical diamond-cut Lantern in gilt filigree mount by Osler & Co.

Spherical diamond-cut Lantern in gilt filigree mount by Osler & Co.

Spherical diamond-cut Lantern in gilt filigree mount by Osler & Co.

6609

Spherical diamond-cut Lantern in gilt filigree mount by Osler & Co.:
with top scrolls dressed with graduated festoons of cut-glass ‘single-star’ prisms and ‘pedalogue’ pendants particular to Osler. Circa 1910 and restored.

Height:25"-65.0cm
Width:15"-38.0cm

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

'single star' prisms

Round cut-glass prism, with flat front and star-cut back. Used on early 19th century Regency chandeliers. Later used extensively by Osler for their drapery in the late 19th century.

'pedalogue'

A cut glass pendant designed by Osler, from 1880 onwards.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.