Victorian four branch Girandole by Osler & Co

Victorian four branch Girandole by Osler & Co

Victorian four branch Girandole by Osler & Co

1892

Victorian four branch Girandole by Osler & Co:
the central cross-cut glass sphere supporting the candle
branches; dressed with pedalogue pendants, typical of Osler,
and facet-cut pointed finial; with sage green velvet back.
Circa 1880 and restored.

Height:27"-69.0cm
Width:18"-46.0cm
Glossary Words

Osler & Co. (F & C)

Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1807, F & C Osler produced some of the most magnificent and imaginative items ever to come from a glass manufacturer. Thomas Osler, his sons, Follett and Clarkson, and after 1831, his nephew Abraham, were known for their exquisitely cut glass, often combined with fine gilded-metal mounts and framework, produced by their own craftsmen. From about 1840, they had established good contacts with the Middle East and had a gallery in Calcutta, India. Osler made an extravagant cut glass fountain for the centre of The Great Exhibition in 1851. They continued making chandeliers of the highest quality until well into the 20th century. In 1924, they took over the well-known lighting manufacturer Faraday Ltd. and went on producing light fittings until the 1970s.

Thank you

This is sample alert content.